A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Thursday 19 July 2012

OH MY BOT


Happy Thursday and oh have I learnt something as obscene as the thought of Gemma from TOWIE rolling around in a paddling pool full of mud.

ONE] Robots are [well on the way to] taking over. That’s right – think Will Smith and his metal-clad friends, only
         worse. These robots even look like us [and by us I mean the general human race as opposed to a shiny
         bit of R2D2 wheely fun]. I’ll admit, I may have read this on the Daily Mail website [my lunch-time fountain
         of wisdom] but lets not be too hasty. There just so happens to be a video on the site which dispels any
         doubtful thoughts to the furthest away point of Timbuktu. This so-called robot has a name, albeit with a
         number at the end of it, Bina48, lest we forget that it is not actually human [a bit like calling a dog
         CharlesDoggy]. In every other way it also bares a startling resemblance to a wrinkly, over make-upped
         lady in her more mature years. Oh wait. Wait – it doesn’t have a body. Yes boys and girls, this robot does
         not have any limbs. Rather than being a glaringly obvious mistake [come on now quantum physicists] this
         fact pleased me for two reasons:
               a] it won’t be able to run after me once it crosses over to the dark side and starts waging war against
                   me with the toaster and it’s valiant steed, the hoover, and
               b] it looks kind of funny.
        Jokes aside, this phenomenon relies on us humans downloading our thought processes as such onto the
        robot’s memory, allowing it to think independently from there. It’s exactly what you think. The robot then
        forms its own personality based on the personality of the person whose information it has. Madness? Less
        80s band behavior and more on the bloody-battles and fake abs Sparta level. Not satisfied with freaking out
        the entire world population with word of this invention, the makers have decided that they want the bust to
        be able to tell jokes. Think exceedingly morose clowns with happy faces painted on in bold colours and you
        start to understand just how bizarre this all is. The bot is being sold with the idea that you’d be able to have
        conversations with your deceased grandma after she is long gone. Now I love my grandmas to bits, but the
        thought of having conversations with plastic versions of their heads [but with far more garish makeup] and
        an uncannily train-station-tannoy-esque voice sends the wrong kind of shivers down my spine. Don’t
        agree? I’ll leave you with a link to the video so you can decide whether or not you’d like to have a bunch of
        floating heads with their own brains sitting in your house whilst you are cozily sleeping in a room right
        above their heads [quite literally].
Lovely emotive photo complete with artsy fuzzy background. SEE WHAT I MEAN?! [Thanks Daily Mail for your photograph]


TWO] Chilis are a bit greedy. Yes, it’s time for a chili update! As it stands, the Jalapenos and Scotch Bonnetts
          are still lagging, refusing to grow any taller than they need to, with the Unnamed Chilis and the American
          Chilis devouring more sunlight and water than a baby on the chubby side [no surprise there] and
          apparently deciding they are intent on growing in such a way that resembles a mini rainforest. Excuse me
          for being a bit pessimistic here, but how much time do I have to wait to catch the tiniest glimpse of an
          actual chili?! Yes, I admit, I need to re-pot the lot, but really, not even one little spicy sighting is starting
          to make me think that Chili growing’s not what I hoped it’d be. Disappointed? You should see my face
          every day I come back from work and run to the window…
Unnamed Chili - Right. Weedy excuse for a plant - Left

American Chili - Left. The least spicy, smallest Jalapeno plant in the plant world - Right

Hopefully the next time you see them they'll be potted and more chili-like.
Lets see what the weekend brings.
Hopefully some sun.

SK

No comments:

Post a Comment