A BLOG ABOUT THINGS I LEARN. BASICALLY. I respect copyright and will be happy to remove any photo the holder wishes me to remove. Please email whatstanleysays@gmail.com if you own an image you wish removed.

Sunday 22 March 2015

A STANDARD FRIDAY NIGHT IN BIRMINGHAM

ON the evening of Friday 20th March I:
ONE] Sunk a few 2 for 1 cocktails at the ever-buzzing Turtle Bay. NB The Marley Mojito is exactly what you're used to with a sprinkling of magic [otherwise known as Midori]. Delicious.

TWO] Sampled some Strawberry beer at the coolest cafe/bar in town, Cherry Reds:
And scared some fish.

THREE] Watched Warpaint perform at The Institute, Digbeth:
I expected them to be good, I mean I absolutely knew they'd be good and have wanted to see them for almost six years now, but they exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be difficult for them to maintain the crowd's concentration for an entire set since their songs are generally a slow-paced almost etherial expression of pure Los Angeles cool, but there again was I wrong.
They churned out hit after hit in the most effortless fashion with so much conviction you'd think they were born with their instruments fused to their fingers. There was a lot of on-stage hair twizzling, several 'in jokes' and a general consensus that the 'Birmingham haters' need to eff off because we have 'great canals', all of which put us at ease and kind of made us feel like we were sitting in on band practice. The vocals were so light and note-perfect, the new songs were clear dancefloor fillers and everyone left wanting to call up their girlfriends and form a band. If that's not a sign of a good night, I don't know what is.

Catch Warpaint at the Glasgow O2 ABC on Tuesday, and the Hammersmith Appollo in London on Wednesday if tickets haven't already sold out! 






No comments:

Post a Comment